The nozzle material selection depends on several factors:
- the abrasive you choose
- how often you blast
- the size of the blast job
- the rigors of the job site
Below, we provide some general application guidelines for various materials.
- Aluminium oxide ‘Alumina’ (ceramic) nozzles offer a reasonable lifetime at a lower price than other materials. They are a good choice for low-intensity applications where the unit price is a primary factor and the nozzle lifetime is less important.
- Tungsten carbide nozzles offer a significant long lifetime and value when rough handling cannot be avoided and mineral or coal slag abrasives are used.
- Silicon aluminium oxynitride (SiAlON) nozzles offer the same increased lifetime and durability as tungsten carbide but are only about half the weight. They are also better for handling aluminium oxide abrasives.